Thursday, March 31, 2011

So I just got back from the National Theatre's production of Frankenstein. How you ask? Why because it was broadcasted live into my local movie theatre - heck yes technology! It was remarkable. The set was one of the coolest I've ever seen; Johnny Lee Miller's performance as The Creature was so physical and so heartbreaking I was truly amazed; Benedict Cumberbatch's Frankenstein was equally incredible in its' sincerity and relatibility; and the questions and comparisons posed about what it is to be Man vs what it means to be Monster were poignant. What resonated the most with me was both of the central characters' deep desire for companionship. During one scene the Creature implores Frankenstein to create a female to be his companion, and when Frankenstein asks why the Creature yells "Because I am lonely!" Ah to be lonely, what a sad fate indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment