Sunday, October 3, 2010

Talk to me

Is there power in words? , a picture is worth a thousand of them.

What about talk? Small talk, all talk, talk is cheap, talk the talk, talk yourself up, talk at, talk with, talk to. We have all of these expressions and sayings but I wonder if any of them really ring true, or if we mistakenly put too much stalk in talk.

What about action?

I don’t know if I’ve expounded before on my theory of ‘talkers vs. doers’ but I am going to bring it up now. It seems to me as though there are people who are talk about their plans, wishes, dreams and people who just go for their wishes and act out their dreams. As a member of the former category, I must say that I envy the doers; for the people who get up off the couch and away from the phone or coffee shop table are the people who live busy, fulfilling, whole lives - it seems to me. I can talk about an idea as much as I want, but until I do something to turn my words into something concrete can I honestly say that I have accomplished anything?

“Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans” said a Beatle who arguably lived a lot of life. But if all one does is worry about making plans, can we call that a life?

As someone who strings words together incessantly on this here page, it may seem counterintuitive to question their value but I’m just saying wouldn’t it be nicer to go to Paris instead of talk about going to Paris, or have your dream job instead of talking about what your dream job might be, or to be with a guy instead of talk about one?

How do you ‘doers’ do it?!

Can it be that we (I) need to abandon my beloved words in favour of actions?

No comments:

Post a Comment