Thursday, September 3, 2009

Visions of Autumnal Bliss

Somehow it is September. I'm not sure how that happened, or why Mother Nature felt it fair to bestow a mere 2 weeks of summer on us vitamin D deprived Nova Scotians, but there you have it.

That being said, Halifax is a pretty awesome place to be in September. Today the Atlantic Fringe Fest starts (yay affordable theatre!!) and in two weeks time the Atlantic Film Festival gets underway. Plus the weather is usually fairly agreeable and the city is bustling with the influx of university students back for another year.

I tried really hard to get a job with the Film Fest this year, but to no avail.

Ok so perhaps that's a lie. I didn't try that hard. But I did look into it, make a resume, email some people whom I new were hiring, tell my friend who actually works there to drop some hints, and still nothing. Ah well, guess that wasn't meant to be.

Every year I promise myself to participate in/attend the Film Fest, and usually I fail to hold up my end of the deal but last year I managed reasonably well and this year my bestest friend is in three movies! That's right three. How amazingly exciting right?? I feel especially invested because I helped her prepare for her auditions, and I ran lines with her, and some of the clothes which she borrowed for me may have made it into a few scenes. (That and of course she has worked her tail off and deserves to be a Halifamous movie star).

Festivals are amazing because they give the community a unique opportunity to be exposed to something which they may not ordinarily have access to as well as giving local artists an avenue through which to showcase themselves. Plus there's an influx of people in town, there are always parties and events happening and... well it's just awesome. Festivals are the shit. Music (a la Stewart Park I attended in July), Film, Fringe or otherwise.

All in all, September holds promise. Lots of artistic/cultural excitement, a trip to Toronto to see one of my dearest friends whom I haven't seen in 3 years, and a bit of a new start. Hopefully by the end of this month I will be in the midst of a grand adventure somewhere, and come cold, dark winter I'll be able to look back on September and smile at how fantastic a time I had.




No comments:

Post a Comment