Saturday, September 12, 2009

HOME SWEET (vastly expensive) HOME

So I just spent far too much time looking at prospective houses/condos/lofts online.

Mother phoned this morning and told me to look up Red Door Reality because one of our neighbours had put his house up for sale (for a cool 3/4 million, if you don't mind) and needless to say, I got carried away.

I then decided to see what a quaint house for one would cost 'round these parts, and then what a new condo would cost, and then what a summer home in Mahone Bay would set me back, and before you can say 'fixed mortgage' an hour (ok maybe more) had gone by and I was on TorontoLofts.com looking at the floor plans of $600,000 condos.

Lately I've been thinking that I would really like to invest in real estate. I figure if I'm going to spend $X hundred in rent every month, I might as well put it towards owning something of my own. Ahh what a wonderful notion - an entire space that is mine and only mine. It is probably the only "grown-up thing" that doesn't freak me out. Marriage? Eek! Long-term career? OHGod.. Children? (look of utter shock/mild nausea) House to call my own? Alright..

Sadly, I am as green as the basil on the caprese salad I had for lunch today when it comes to real estate and realistically there is no way I can currently afford anything close to my dream home. Anybody want to go splits on an overpriced, slightly minuscule yet grossly fabulous loft in an old Toy Factory?? Anybody??

No comments:

Post a Comment